At Turner White Solicitors, our holiday sickness solicitors have extensive holiday sickness experience and knowledge, who can explain you thoroughly about your legal rights and advice to help you through your claims. Our team of holiday sickness compensation claims solicitors are made up of leading lawyers, with a proven record of accomplishment of success in holiday sickness cases.
Aspects of Holiday Sickness
The Package Travel Regulations 1992 covers those who have fallen ill on a holiday after purchasing a holiday package or an all-inclusive holiday from a UK tour operator. The regulations defines a "holiday package" as a pre-arranged combination of at least two of the following components when sold or offered for sale at an inclusive price and when the service covers a period of more than 24 hours or includes overnight:
- Travel e.g. flights
- Accommodation i.e. hotels
- Any other tourist services accounting for a significant proportion of the package
Common Causes of Holiday SicknessFood Poisoning is one of the greatest causes of holiday sickness. Many tourists suffer from it due to eating at restaurants which are not very efficient at managing food hygiene. Some of the main causes of food poisoning are as follows:
- Uncooked food
- Food prepared on unclean surfaces
- Food that is incorrectly handled or contaminated by food handlers
- Ice served in drinks using unsafe tap water
- Unsafe tap water being served
Other Causes of Holiday SicknessCauses of holiday sickness is not only confined to a restaurant, but you can also get infected by other means:
- Poorly maintained swimming pools i.e. inadequate levels of chlorine, poor personal hygiene of other tourists
- Lack of hygiene in hotel rooms i.e. dirty bed sheets, bed bugs, dust and insects in the room, bacteria/fungi in certain areas of the room.
- Lack of hygiene in toilets, either public toilets or en-suite for the hotel room